How to Clean a Tent
When it comes to being an avid camper, it is important to take care of your gear.
Your tent is vital in ensuring that you have a great camping experience and is something you should not forget to tend to.
Many people put a lot of wear on their tents because they simply do not take the time to care for them properly.
If you are someone who invested time and money to choose best camping tent and who wants to keep your tent in great shape for a long time, then you should know how to clean a tent.
How to Clean Your Tent - Prevention Steps
As someone who enjoys the pleasures of camping, I have found that it is very important to take good care of your gear.
Your tent is the most valuable part of your camping excursion and should be tended to with complete consideration.
Here are some helpful ways to fully care for your tent and clean it properly.
1. Good Location
- To keep your tent protected from the damage, it is important to set up in a safe location.
- You want to make sure that there aren't too many sticks or twigs on the ground that can harm your tent.
- It is also important to look around at potentially loose tree branches that may fall on you or your tent.
- Finding a camping spot that won't cause any damage to your tent is a great way to begin caring for it properly.
2. Proper Set-Up
- First, you should always lay down a tent cloth that will keep the bottom protected from damage. While you are setting up and when you are moving around inside the tent, it might slide around which can cause ripping. When you have quality ground padding in place, it will ensure that your tent doesn't suffer any scrapes or tears.
- You also need to take your time while setting up your tent and do not rush or become too hasty. Many people just try to throw their tent into place, which can result in reefing on the poles and causing damage. Treat your tent gently and with care and it will withstand many years with you. You need to invest enough time and energy into your tent so that it won't end up costing you a lot of money having to buy a new one.
3. Leave Footwear at the Door
You may want to consider leaving your boots and footwear outside of the tent to prevent damage.
All of the debris and various things stuck to your shoes can cause your tent to become rather dirty.
Over time mildew or other things can build up and destroy the interior of your tent.
Keeping it as clean as possible is a great way to keep your tent much longer.
4. Don't Mess It
You should always take care to keep the inside of your tent clean during your camping trip. Try not to leave anything inside that may spill or end up crushed into the ground.
You should always have your food packed up safely just in case of animals, so having it inside the tent is not good anyways. Keep the inside of your tent free from dirt as much as you possibly can.
5. Keep it Dry
The number one rule of tent care is to keep everything as dry as possible. When things get wet, it invites mildew and serious wear to your interior.
Keep things as dry as possible at all times to keep your tent lasting longer.
Unpacking your tent after a trip is helpful, take a look at it and see if there are any wet spots.
If you do notice some damp patches, then you should set your tent up in a completely dry space indoors so that it can air out.
You should never store your tent anywhere that is damp or moist.
How To Clean Your Tent - What Are The Best Products For Cleaning?
You should always avoid harsh chemicals when you are taking the time to clean dirt from your tent.
These chemicals are far too abrasive and can harm your tent.
You want to wash it by hand and use the most gentle products that you can.
You can use cold water and a non-detergent soap, by rubbing with a soft sponge very gently.
Watch this video for more ways to clean your tent properly:
Never machine wash your tent, you will completely destroy it. You should also never machine wash it; this will tear at the structure of your tent.
Anything with perfume will attract bugs with can chew at your tent and cause a lot of problems. You should always keep your products scent free and gentle.
What To Do With Tent When Mildew Occurs?
Although it is always best to prevent mildew from building up in your tent, there are some situations where you couldn't avoid it.
Once this occurs you need to be sure to remove the mold as best as you can.
First start by scrubbing with a sponge and see how much you can get clean. If this is not enough, you can mix a cleaning product with about 20 gallons of water in a bathtub and dip the tent in it.
Once you have cleaned everything out, then it is time to set the tent up somewhere to dry.
Here are the proper steps in ensuring that your ten maintenance is up to standard:
- Find a good location
- Do not wear shoes inside of your tent
- Keep it clean
- Keep it dry
- The right cleaning products matter. Nothing too strong
- Learn how to remove mildew once it occurs
It is always important to take precautions to keep your tent clean. Once things have become dirty, you should be sure to remove any spots or mildew from your tent.
To keep things in excellent condition and save you money, proper tent care is a valuable thing to know more about.